Thursday, November 1, 2007

Why Get an MBA?

I just read an article entitled Why Go to B-School? by Brandon Cornuke. I did not love it, but it has propelled me to articulate my own perspective. Cornuke narratively conveys his fairly ambiguous decision-making process as a function of padding his resume and killing some free time. I believe that these dispassionate motivations will not be sufficient to spur Cornuke through the intellectual and emotional gauntlet of an MBA program, even with his 720 GMAT.

The reason to get an MBA... in fact, the ONLY reason to get an MBA as I see it ...is a passion for learning about business.

No one gets a law degree just because it would "help their resume." It would be ridiculous to expect someone to labor through med school because they had 8 years of "extra time on their hands." If I were getting my Masters in Entymology and you asked me if I liked learning about bugs, you have my permission to punch me in the throat if I respond, "No, I just really like the way Entymologists talk. And I think it will look great on my resume."

I understand that going to college (undergrad) has now become something you do after high school. But graduate degrees should still be reserved for those who have a passion (at least an interest) in gaining more knowledge about a particular topic. Cornuke seems to fail to recognize that he will spend the next two years STUDYING BUSINESS before he gets those 3 initials added to his resume. He'll probably do fine, it just bothered me that he alludes to no epistemological drive towards the subject for its own sake.

Wanting to Learn About Business is a great reason to get an MBA. Anything less will not have the power sufficient to generate the motivation to complete all the course work, projects and case studies that stand between a new student and his or her degree. If you watch MSNBC, read the Economist, WSJ, and books by Kottler, Keller and Hayes, or think you would like to read anything by the HBS, then you are the right person for b-school.

Here, as I sit typing in my 2nd month of classes, I would add:
A healthy dose of masochism doesn't hurt. --Shawn Butler

1 comment:

Global Partners MBA Students said...

"Overall, the typical graduate earned $48,000 before entering the MBA program and now expects to earn $75,000 in the first job after graduation—a 56% increase."

Is that a good enough reason?

9 other great reasons are listed at
this site
including "Become a Leader" and "Increase Job Security."