Monday, March 7, 2016

Excitement and Feedback

Saturday morning around 9:30, after I’d been up, exercised, had my own breakfast and made pancakes for our kids, my wife walked into the kitchen and I started telling her about a great message I got from a potential client on LinkedIn. I may have blurted. It was probably too much, too early for her. She looked at me over her plate of pancakes and said, “I haven’t seen you this excited about work stuff in years.”

I want to believe she was saying it with support and empathy, though I may have detected a note of bitterness in her still-groggy voice. I like being in a positive place. I choose to make the best of the circumstances I’m in. I refuse to let myself get bogged down by what isn’t going right, the things I wish were happening, the problems I can’t control, and the outcomes I really can’t affect.

But she’s right. I’m motivated by what I’m doing right now. It’s great to be able to say I’m building something for myself and doing work I believe in. That gets me excited.

No comments: