Friday, September 30, 2016

What I'm Reading Right Now

I've been told that I do reading "wrong." Sometimes in conversation, in a total not d-bag sort of way, I mention that I'm reading such-and-such book. I have apparently said this more than once to the same person in the same conversation--enough that they've called me on it, saying, "Wait, you just said you're reading a different book right now. You mean you're reading more than one book at the same time?"

Yes. I read multiple books at the same time. And this is apparently "doing it wrong" to some people. There are just so many books I want to read. All the time. At the same time. My defense of this is partly that I get most of my books from the library and they're all due back at the same time, so it makes more sense to finish them all about the same time, rather than trying to do one, then the next, then the next. I certainly want to START all of them at the same time.

My other, weaker defense is that I'm reading all sorts of different books. And I'm in the mood to read something different at different times. For example, on a Monday night, I may want something non-fiction about my career. By Wednesday night, I'll want some escapist fiction/sci-fi/fantasy. On Sunday afternoon, I tend to be ready for more of a "life purpose," self-help type of book. So I need to have all of these on-hand. Anyway, this is the list of what I'm reading right now.

What I’m Reading Right Now:
The Devil’s Only Friend, Dan Wells
Copywriting: Successful Writing for Design, Advertising and Marketing, Mark Shaw
Stop Acting Rich--and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire, Thomas J. Stanley (GSU!)
The Miracle Morning, Hal Elrod
My Name is Red, Orhan Pamuk
Over Sea, Under Stone, Susan Cooper

What's on My “To Read Next” List:
The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me about Life and Wealth, Richard Paul Evans
The Traveler’s Gift, Andy Andrews
The War of Art, Steven Pressfield
The second list of what I want to read next is stuff that people have recommended. I've heard several people mention awesome stuff by Steven Pressfield and am guessing, based on what I read on Wikipedia, that The War of Art might be a good place to start. I've heard the same about Andy Andrews. If I like these books, obviously that'll steer me towards a bunch of new books I'll need to add to my reading stack.

No comments: